- SHOP ALL
- PERIOD UNDERWEAR
Environmental sustainability is at the heart of Tampon Tribe. We only use recycled materials and zero plastics to reduce our carbon footprint and help save our oceans. But each of us can do our part at home; engaging in low-waste lifestyles. One great place to start is your kitchen!
More than one-third of all food produced globally is wasted or spoiled. That amounts to 1.3 billion tons every year, or $1 trillion dollars of wasted food.
Americans throw away up to 40% of the food they buy.
Organic matter in landfills provides 20% of all methane emissions, a potent greenhouse gas that contributes considerably to climate change.
But it’s easy and sometimes fun to make a change. Here are 5 easy ways to reduce food waste in your own household:
1. Watch it! One great way to make sure you don’t overbuy food at the grocery store is take a “shelfie” – snap a few pics of your shelves & fridge to avoid buying items you already have.
2. Freeze it! There’s almost nothing that won’t last forever if you just freeze it. Freeze chopped veggies and then enjoy them out of season; freeze berries and eat them cold in yogurt for a treat; freeze fresh herbs so they don’t go bad before you use the whole sprig; freeze soup in individual sized portions; freeze meats and cheeses and even bread, flour and nuts.
3. Pickle it! Use your extra veggies and pickle them, done right they will last a long time. The fermentation process makes pickles prime food for a healthy gut.
4. Share it! Become the most popular foodie in your office by bringing in extra leftovers and showing off your culinary prowess.
5. Donate it! Donate what you don’t use to your local food bank or shelter. Waste can be composted and given another life as plant fertilizer.
‘Reduce, reuse, recycle’ never tasted so delicious !